If you are working on an essay, term paper, or research paper related to philosophy, then you are going to want to make sure you consider several philosophical ideas before you start searching for evidence and examples. It can be difficult to come up with topics in philosophy on your own, so our academic experts have put together this list of 100 philosophy topics for you to think about. They cover a wide range of subjects to suit every need for high school through college-aged students.
Easy Philosophy Paper Topics
Students at the high school level are often first learning or honing their skills in argumentative writing. When it comes to choosing philosophical topics for essays, they are more likely to stick with ideas that are easy to deal with. The following list makes for a great starting point:
- Are cats smarter than dogs?
- What is the definition of love?
- Is it ever okay to fight in school?
- Should evolution be taught in schools?
- Should children have the right to punish their parents?
- Is selfishness a natural quality in humans?
- What is the difference between good and evil?
- Is it moral to steal food when you are poor?
- Should students volunteer to help those in need?
- Is it okay to cheat on a test to pass a grade?
You can see that these philosophy topics to write a paper on are easy to approach and write in a few hours. Even so, students must search for examples to back up their opinions and arguments to turn in a great paper.
Fun Philosophy Paper Topics for Younger Students
Philosophy paper topics aren’t always to come by. And when it comes to younger students, they often struggle to find anything interesting to write about. The following list of ideas are meant to be fun and intriguing to young adults:
- What is the meaning of life?
- Will robots take over the world?
- Should you always aim to keep friends’ secrets?
- If you had the power to change one thing in your life, what would it be?
- Do you think humans are slaves to technology?
- Can you be happy even when you are poor?
- Do you think it is cruel to keep animals in zoos?
- Do we need a friendship circle?
- Do black holes exist?
- Should we place young people on stricter diets?
Despite these suggestions being meant to be fun and easy to work with, students must still conduct an adequate amount of philosophy research to ensure the topics are thoroughly discussed in any assignment. Some of these psychology topics may also be helpful.
Good Philosophy Paper Topics for More Advanced Classes
As students start to get the hang of thinking critically and researching sources for evidence and examples, they may want to challenge themselves with the following more interesting philosophy topics:
- Can an understanding of ancient philosophy make us a better world?
- How much did ancient cultures follow their philosophies?
- What are the major components of tradition building?
- Are all people born equal?
- Why do societies determine some acts to be taboo?
- Why should first world countries help third world countries?
- Do you believe that animal testing is cruel?
- Should the United States ban private zoos?
- What is the definition of love?
- Is there such a thing as a parallel universe?
These philosophical topics explore some more serious issues requiring students to think outside-of-the-box and to challenge themselves by providing examples culled from primary and secondary sources. The above set would likely be great ideas to explore when one has a week or two to adequately prepare.
Philosophy Thesis Topics for College Students
A thesis is a complex work that many college students must complete to earn their degree. It is often considered the culmination of original work within a specific field and helps students earn the respect of others within that field.
- Should the U.S. adopt a method for taxing the rich at a higher rate?
- Is it wrong to have biases based on race?
- Should the U.S. ban capital punishment at the federal level?
- Which crimes should be considered for capital punishment?
- If God exists as a good entity, why is there evil in the world?
- Should professional athletes pay higher taxes?
- Should there be universal tax codes across the United States?
- Is there such a thing as free will?
- When does human life begin?
- Does capital punishment unfairly apply to minorities?
- Is it possible for people of different races to be friends?
- Should the U.S. institute more Affirmative Action laws?
- What does it mean to be dedicated to a family?
- How does philosophy impact the creation of new laws?
- What role does the criminal justice have in the use of capital punishment?
- Would you kill a dozen people to save the life of one person?
- Will humans be the reason the world ends?
- Are humans the cause of global climate change?
- Do humans bear the responsibility of protecting the Earth’s environment?
- Are philosophy essay topics too difficult to understand?
Argumentative Philosophy Essay Topics
The following collection of ideas are more argumentative. Students must choose a specific side and present evidence for why their positions are more accurate than the opposing sides:
- Do you believe human souls exist?
- Where do our thoughts come from?
- Does religion need science to back-up thoughts about creation?
- Is it important to pursue life happiness?
- Is it more important to make money or work a dream job?
- Is it necessary to earn a college degree to be successful?
- Should people pursue a life-long educational path?
- Are terrorist attacks justifiable?
- Should teenagers always follow the rules in school?
- Why do some people never fulfill their life’s calling?
- What is the definition of true happiness?
- What is the definition of true loneliness?
- What does it mean to possess endless knowledge?
- Can someone be happy without being in a relationship?
- Do all people have good and bad traits?
- What role does society play in shaping personalities?
- How influential are family members to a child’s development?
- Can global peace ever be achieved?
- Can people ever have a true democracy?
- How did classical philosophers influence modern ways of thinking?
As you can see, these topics for philosophy paper challenge students to research a topic thoroughly, establish a firm opinion, and provide support of that opinion in an academically and intellectually sound way.
Philosophy Research Paper Topics for Grad Students
If you are working on your master’s or Ph.D. you know how important it is to consider several philosophy topics for essays in the area you are most interested in. You will need to work closely with an advisor to narrow your options to something that explores a new area in the field or presents a different view of an area that already exists. Here are philosophy topics to write about that you should take into consideration:
- How can the lessons of the Art of War be applied today?
- Should large companies be banned from lobbying?
- Is it right for a governor to accept a bribe?
- Is it okay to lie if it means keeping someone happy?
- Is it ever okay to lie to our parents?
- What is the purpose of marriage?
- Do you agree that relationship love exists for only three years?
- Is religion important to achieve peace?
- Is philosophy still an important subject to cover?
- Is there an ideal beauty-type?
- Why do religious people wage war with one another?
- What is the value of knowledge and truth?
- Should we search for other forms of intelligent life in space?
- Should we continue to prove or disprove the existence of God?
- What are the differences between objectivity and subjectivity?
- Do the works of Foucault still hold in today’s world?
- Is the genetic engineering of children ethical?
- What impact did Freud have on modern philosophy?
- Does the U.S. spend enough time with modern philosophy?
- Should more women be hired for C-Level jobs?
- Can civilian deaths in war ever be justified as the best option?
- Should all governments institute a jury-based system?
- Is it ever justified to kill an American overseas?
- Should people apply to have children?
- Is it ever morally just to hit one’s, own child?
- Do governments have the right to hide evidence of alien life?
- Should there be limits on who gets to procreate?
- Is it ethical to hire a lesser qualified candidate because of a race?
- Do governments do enough to punish rape?
- Should people give up all possessions to strangers when they die?
What do you think of our list of philosophy research topics? We are constantly updating our lists to stay at the forefront of this and other academic subjects. If you do not see something you like or need help for a philosophy homework, just give us a call or send us a message via chat or email. Our customer service team is available 24 hours a day throughout the year and will be glad to put you in contact with one of our many academic experts.
Get top grades, effortlessly.
Over 500 degree-holding experts are at your fingertips.Do My Assignment